Objective of the Scholarship
The main objective of this scholarship scheme is to provide the funding for African diaspora students to pursue medical or health-related research at United States or European universities. Given the financial challenges that many diaspora Africans encounter in funding higher education, it is hoped that this scholarship will benefit the students selected and their community too.
The award will be for a maximum amount of US$20,000 per candidate per year, to cover tuition, books, and other expenses over the complete duration of studies.
Administration of the Award
The Toyin Falola Centre will administer the scholarship in its entirety.
Eligibility/Criteria for selection
The successful candidate for this scholarship must:
- Be of African descent;
- Currently have visa to attend college in North America and Europe, outside the African continent;
- Have gained admission into a medical or health sciences program in a university in the United State or Europe;
- Possess outstanding academic performance records; and
- Be in good academic standing in every way
Applications may be submitted every year between May 1 and July 15 (except for 2017 which is extended for a month—August 15). The selected candidate for each year will be announced by August 15 of that year.
Required application documents:
- A completed application form;
- A letter of application, convincingly setting forth the need for the scholarship and demonstrating the candidate’s goals in pursuing a medical or health sciences degree;
- Evidence of African birth;
- Evidence of visa to attend college;
- Evidence of university admission for a medical or health sciences course;
- One letter of recommendation;
- Recommendation letters on institutional/letterhead paper from the Head of Department and from one other person who is not the applicant’s family member
Shortlisted candidates may be required to submit additional documents or verification details.
Submission of documents
Candidates must ensure that all documents reach the Toyin Falola Centre in a single email as one attachment. Documents arriving late for any reason at all will not be considered.
Documents may be scanned and emailed to email@example.com
For the Toyin Falola Centre